Wednesday 1st November

Early breakfast at 8am, came across an unusual looking fruit, similar to a fig with a sharp tip, so inquisitively I picked it up. Skin was brown and scaly, like that of a snake. Not sure how to approach it I began hacking it with a bread knife. After halving it awkwardly (and nearly losing a finger) I found that the skin peeled away very easily from the pulp. Without the skin, it looked like three cloves of garlic, and in the centre of each clove was a hard inedible seed (like an avocado). The texture was crunchy kinda like a crisp apple, yet the taste was acidic and dry, a bit like a funky pineapple. So weird! I ended up having to Google to find out what it was, low and behold it is affectionately known as Snake Fruit (officially it is called Salak). It is native to Java and is a species of palm. Different, very different. I ended up farming out segments to the rest of the group as I couldn’t manage eating an entire one.

Lu came across Coco Pops and was all thrilled with life. Coco Pops are her favourite food you see. Not mash, not feta, not green beans, but Coco Pops! Hehe, what is she like, every day brings a new favourite food. I have her sussed though! Her favourite is actually food itself. Boom!!!

Ah we do love to poke fun at each other. The guys have been unmerciful in their glee at my poor pronunciation of certain “th” words. Relish any excuse to get me to say ‘three’, ‘thirty’ or ‘third’. I’ve given up trying to catch myself and correctly pronounce them. I can handle the mockery; my shoulders are broad enough. Plus I’m now painfully aware that I use the old English term “ye” a hell of a lot. It’s not the done thing I’m told. Nevertheless I just cannot abide using the word “you” as a plural, even though I know it is grammatically correct, it just sounds wrong. So it’s “ye”, “ye”, “ye” and I just can’t help myself anymore. On reflection, I do use it extensively!!

Lounging by the pool was the order of business for the afternoon. Thankfully I am not feeling any ill effects after yesterday’s exertions. Imagined I’d be crippled. Even my toes have forgiven me, and thankfully the nails seem fine, woo hoo!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment