Saturday 4th November

7am breakfast. BBQ preparations are underway as the hotel is a hive of activity. Chairs and tables are being laid out in the garden. The ornamental boat from the pool has been relocated. The breakfast room is packed with guests and children are everywhere – now is the perfect time to be leaving. Jeez, we’re lucky!

Robin struggled with his wheely case on the cobbled stone paths, it kept catching on the irregular height flagstones. Meanwhile I’d smugly walk on, grinning and commenting on the convenience of my fabulous backpack. He informed me that smugness is an unbecoming feature, I can’t say that I care, as long as I’m the one dishing it out… hehehe!

Two nice clean, air-conditioned taxis picked us up at the hotel entrance and took us to the ferry. Each cab only cost 8,333 IDR each (50c!) – so we were totally “ripped off” on our arrival earlier in the week.

At the ferry port we filled out our departure cards and climbed three flights of stairs to the terminal entrance. Smug Lisa maybe again reared her ugly head. I’m totally gonna get a smack at this rate.

Out in the sunshine and rising heat, I started making my way towards the nearest ferry, (incorrectly) figuring they were all headed to Bali. Some port staff gestured to a ferry that was a wee bit further down the pier. Robin sidled up, comfortably rolling his case along the smooth path, jesting if I was struggling with my “fabulous” backpack. He got a wry grin but I knew I’d have the last laugh as I could see that we were approaching the ferry from the ground level and knew that he would have to trundle up the ferry stairs in a few moments. Ah yes, you can’t keep me down for long sir!

The trip across the sea was slow and gentle. The ferry was different to the one that we got over as there were no trinket souvenir stalls on it, much to our two avid shoppers’ dismay. It got quite warm sitting in the middle desk so Jenny, Robin and myself headed up top to get some air and check out the scenery.

We arrived into Gilimanuk on time and our transfer was waiting patiently for us. Over here drivers are always so, so early, they never keep you waiting. We had hired him to drive us to Ubud, opting for two comfortable cars rather than one minivan. En route we stopped at a small coffee shop with stunning terraced views of rice paddies. The scenery over here is just sublime.

We ended up passing the Twin Lakes again and requested a food stop. Again we were unlucky with the weather, the elevation seems to always mean a misty damp setting (at this time of year at least). We all sat under a covered canopy and munched on a light lunch, while gazing at the two lakes and panoramic views.

Since we left Bali earlier in the week much has changed. All entrances to houses and businesses are decorated with amazing bamboo penjors – there’s a real carnival atmosphere all around the place.

Approaching Ubud it already feels so much more Western than Pemuteran or Java. The streets are crowded with tourists and tour buses. We have found mainstream Bali it would seem. We checked into Pertimi Bisma 1, again receiving a nice refreshing fruit drink from the staff. Since we were a day early than originally planned I was not able to get the same room as for the next two nights, instead I went for a cheeky villa, because feck it, I’m worth it! (And that’s all that they had left). Thankfully between discounts and special offers I only paid €50 for the room for the night. Expensive by Bali standards, but peanuts compared to Ireland, especially considering what I was getting.

Bellhop grabbed my rucksack and showed me to the villa. On the way we passed a deserted infinity pool! Yes!! Now we’re talking. This is what I imagine when I hear the word Bali. We descend down lots of steps. Lots of steps! The further we go, the more acutely aware I am that I have to trek back up tomorrow morning when checking out. And I know I won’t have this strapping young man helping me, and I most definitely will not be ringing for his assistance either (I’d be mortified like!). He opened the door to the villa with a flourish, gestured me inside and followed with my bag. He then gave me the grand tour. Bed. Balcony overlooking pool. Bathroom you could play 5-aside soccer in. Air con. Minibar. Oh lads! Twas only fab. This is how you holiday in style!!

WiFi was down so it was impossible to contact the others to see what the plan for the afternoon was. I tried doing it the old fashioned way and ringing people’s rooms, but there was no answer. Hmmm. After having a good snoop about the villa, I locked up, trundled up the steps and went in search of everyone. Found Robin in the pool, he’d no idea of dining plans so I left him to chillax and went in search of Tony and Lu.

They had agreed to meet Geoff and Jenny and were getting ready to head out. I told them I’d catch them up at the main hotel in half an hour. Right, back to pool, inform Robin of plan, cajole him to join us, succeed (coz I can be an almighty pest), back down to room, quick change, grab wallet and bag, back up those steps, knock on Robin’s door, mother hen him into getting ready faster, and boom! Out da gap in under 20 mins. Perfect timing to meet the other four.

Hitting Ubud town, I couldn’t get over just how built up it was. By doing zero research on the place I had no idea what to expect. I was completely unprepared however for a hustling bustling city heaving with people – Pemuteran had spoiled me.

Tony was hanging for a beer, yet we came upon a nice looking restaurant CisTa offering 2-1 happy hour mojitos, and ended up in there. Four drinks in and he had forgotten his thirst for beer. We ordered some bruschetta and wow it was divine. I got a ping on Messenger, the twins were in town and back from a day’s adventure wanting to meet up. Hehe, unreal! Sent them directions and soon we were joined by Jess and Amy, the gang all back together again!

Food was top notch. Being starving had nothing to do with it. So delicious. Gorged ourselves with starters, mains and dessert. Ubud prices are a lot more expensive that what we are used to. Hitting the tourists hard, knowing they can afford it. Ah well! Can’t blame them I suppose.

Plan for tomorrow seems to be retail therapy for the majority of the group. Hell no! I have not come all this way to lose a precious day shopping. Amy and Jess have organised a day trip to see a few places around Ubud – sign me up too ladies pretty please!! Bad news: 8am start; ouch! That doesn’t give me a lot of time to make the most of my villa people!! Will have to be checked out before 7am so that I can grab breakfast. Cripes!

Mentioned to everyone how my balcony doors don’t quite close properly at the bottom. There is a gap. A bloody big gap. This is only an issue as Ubud is like rice paddy capital and it’s been raining haphazardly here and there. Mozzie central. Party time!!!! Robin gallantly offers to take my villa in exchange for his room, putting himself at the mercy of the potential biting mosquitos. Truly touched at his chivalry (haha, or cheek!) I politely refused his kind offer. Besides, I have mozzie nets and a plug in repellent yoke. I’ll be fine. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment