Sunday 15th October

05:00 alarm goes off and I’m out of the bed like a shot. Amazing how for making flights just one alarm is needed, whereas I nearly need 6 snooze sessions every morning before extracting myself from the bed for work. The difference between a novelty and a chore I suppose. The wind is howling unmercifully, hmmm, maybe ordering the taxi to a phoney address was a bit foolhardy. I’m going to have to wait out in that ugliness for a while. Thank fook it’s not raining. Small mercies! Wolfed down a quick sandwich, a small bowl of pasta, and a hot cuppa tea before locking up the house.

05:30 taxi pulls up, know I’m heading way too early for a 07:20 flight leaving from tiny Cork airport but I just can’t risk facing potential heavy queues, especially since I can’t check in online and must go to the counter. Anxious much? Always!

05:40 and I’m at the airport, rock up to Aer Lingus desks and they are kindly putting my bag all the way through to Bali. Will have to get my Thai Airlines boarding passes in Heathrow, but that’s no problem as I’ve a 3 hour layover. Straight through a deserted security and randomly tested for explosives (although is it random when you get stopped all the time?).

05:50 sitting in the departures lounge ruing my anal punctuality. One of these days I’ll breeze into the terminal with just the right amount of time to spare to swan up to the boarding gate. Hehe! No, no, never. Who am I kidding, just thinking about leaving it that last minute has me breaking out in cold beads of sweat.

Stuck my nose in my trusty travelling book: The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and boarding came around in no time at all. All weekend there was talk of Hurricane Ophelia hitting our shores, thankfully I seemed to be getting out of dodge just in time; it is supposed to touch down tomorrow. We endured a small bit of turbulence as winds were fairly wild but nothing significant to trouble the Airbus.

Landed in Heathrow and made my way to the connecting flights section. Officials at the counter were looking for my connecting boarding pass so I explained to them that Cork were unable to print any and I had to get them printed from the service desks beyond the checkpoint. This caused temporary consternation as they had to check out that that was the case. Seriously, I can’t have been the first passenger that this has happened to and yet they made it seem so. Granted tis early and so they may not be fully awake yet. A quick chat between my guy and the accompanying officer and I was allowed to proceed. Weird!

Easily found the service desks for Thai Airways and got my boarding passes for the two remaining legs sorted. Heathrow-Bangkok and Bangkok-Bali. Whoop whoop! Bloody famished at this stage so off to Wonder Tree for second breakfast. Devoured a tasty avocado spread toastie and had a comforting cuppa, probably my last decent cup of tea for a month. Still have hours until boarding; let’s try a cheeky cocktail while I partake of my favourite airport past-time: people watching. Opted for a Prosecco and Elderflower variant called a Hugo. Not too shabby. Phone pinged. Francois was at the airport. Different terminal though. Shur we’ll all see each other soon enough in Bali.

Boarded flight to Bangkok and was greeted by smiling, respectfully bowing flight attendants in beautiful (but very impractical looking) saris. Entering the airplane my eyes were assaulted by the lurid pink and purple coloured seats. Fabulously garish! 11hrs 25mins flight time and sadly no spare seats to be had – plane was heaving! Had dinner, read my book, watched movies and availed of the free drinks trays which passed by frequently.

Most long distance planes let you view the route progress map and provide you all the details re temperature, distance travelled, distance left etc. etc. As well as all that, this was the first airplane I’ve come across that had a camera mounted on the tail, so you could get a view of the surrounding area. Pretty cool folks! Since we were heading east I made a note to try and remember to check it out again when we arrived into Bangkok at 05:45 as it surely would be close to sunrise, but unfortunately I figured we were due to land just beforehand.




No comments:

Post a Comment