Sunday 22nd October

Today I went for the Indonesian breakfast, Mie Gorang, finally succumbing to the idea of noodles for breakfast. Deliciously tasty and yes, very filling. The fried egg on top is what nearly sent me over the edge; I did my best and managed to send back an empty plate.

Robin and myself decided to approach the beach from a different route today. We walked down a dusty gang (road) and wondered in amazement at all the guesthouses that were hidden along the street. Pemuteran must be an extremely busy village in the high season to warrant all these accommodations. Hard to imagine considering how quiet it is at the moment. I love it though like this. It is like we have stumbled across an unspoilt town where the people are not jaded from tourists and enthuse at your presence. It’s highly gratifying. The ridiculous number of dive shops though shatters that illusion. At peak season I bet it’s choccablock with tourists.

I can’t help but notice in shock that a huge number of dwellings have what appears to be a swastika embedded in their gates and shrines. Robin told me that in Hindu religion it is a symbol for auspiciousness and good luck. It is the main symbol of Balinese Hinduism. Clockwise it represents the sun and prosperity, counter-clockwise it represents the night, destroyer of evil forces. Sadly in modern western society, the slightly rotated version is now associated with racism and hatred.

Another hard day is spent lounging by the beach, happily looking out on the sand, without being actually on it. Hehe! I love the ‘idea’ of the beach. Can’t abide with all that pesky sand though. Gets everywhere!!! Instead I gorge myself on Gregory David Robert’s Mountain Shadow. Having read, and loved Shantaram nearly five years ago, I was slow to read the sequel, fearing it just would not live up to the first book. I’m a good bit in and while it’s readable and passes the time, it’s not a patch on Shantaram at present. Parts feel really contrived, over-written, the author is trying very hard to impart wise snippets here and there but just falls short. Maybe I should re-read Shantaram and see if it still regales me.

The sun was very hot today. I spent a mere twenty minutes in the direct sunlight (while we were walking along the beach) and could feel my skin trying to fry. Francois sunbathed for an age and got burnt. Robin sunbathed for an age and got burnt. Red is not a becoming colour. It just looks so sore – ouch!

Back to the guesthouse and my shower is on the blink. The pressure is non-existent and so the water instead of arcing off the rock simply dribbles down the side and there’s not a hope in hell I can get at it. Feck! Thankfully Lu and Tony offer me the use of theirs. While their pressure is also pitiful, the water at least flows straight out from a showerhead and I can access it.

Dinner was had at a lovely restaurant, Warung Tirta Sari, that served its food very aesthetically. Rice was served in banana leaf triangular structures. Sauces were served in banana leaf troughs with pretty flowers. All very pleasing on the eye, and quite tasty too. Geoff and Robin shared a delicious Mahi-Mahi fish, while Francois made us laugh and groan with his catalogue of highly inappropriate jokes.






No comments:

Post a Comment