Friday 27th October

Today I finally left my comfort zone! Rented a mask, snorkel and life-vest and went for a dip in the ocean. It was as amazing as I knew it would be. Clownfish, parrotfish, vibrant coloured fish – and so plentiful!! It was also terrifying in places and I had a mini wobble while floating out a wee bit deeper.

Totally engrossed following the fishes, I looked up and felt that the shore was very, very far away. It was at that very time that I remembered Francois’ shot of the sharks and then was like, a shark could totally be coming up from behind and shur how would you know. Are they actually attracted by blood? Granted I wasn’t flailing about or wearing a wetsuit and so could not be confused to be a seal. But would that stop them from having a nip or saying hello? Completely irrational; but once the thought was there... let’s just say with a pounding heart I moved to shallower waters fairly sharpish. Such a wimp!

The beach is a bit busier today, the onset of the weekend is evident. Jess passed her advanced Padi diving course!! Delighted for her. She’ll be able to go diving with Tony now. We celebrated with coffee on the twins porch back at the guesthouse (we’re very sensible!). They also introduced me to sweetcorn crisps. Weird. Strange. Amazing. I loved them. In small quantities though. Flavour was far too realistic, but the texture was that of a crisp – completely bamboozled the brain.

Shower wasn’t working again so I had to make my way to reception to ask them to turn up the water pressure. Bumped into the dive shop’s dive master Billy – he said to pop across and have a few drinks of Arak with them, mentioning that Tony and Francois would be there. Maybe, maybe, I’ll see what the group are up to, thanks for the invite. Back to my room and discovered I’d been munched quite badly today during the course of the day; nine new bites! Nine!! I also am sporting some interesting sunburn marks on my derriere. Completely forgot to lotion butt cheeks, the joys of tiny bikinis. Ah well! I wasn’t in the water too long, so the burn shouldn’t be too raw. Amateur! Once we were all ready for dinner we ended up just having a few quick drinks on veranda. Francois did pop over to check out the local hospitality at the dive shop.

Geoff found a new place to eat this evening, off the main road and down a side gang. There were two restaurants on opposite sides. One had many patrons and the other was empty. We made to enter the busy one, as a deserted restaurant is never a good sign. Luckily there was not enough seating for us in the busy restaurant so we about turned and headed into the empty one, called Warung Sekar Sari. We ordered lots of Bintangs after ensuring that they would be served cold. We then proceeded to watch the young waiter grab keys and head out the back and heard him disappear off on a motorbike. Great! We wouldn’t be having many rounds, that’s for sure. Geoff spotted an amusing typo on the menu. He took great delight in ordering “Bruise Ketta” from the waitress when she came to take our orders. While the menu typos were plentiful, it bore no ill-effect on the food, which was lovely, very tasty and simple. Plus once we filled up the place, more patrons came by and stopped for food. We were good for business. 










No comments:

Post a Comment